Casual reading, and a visit to the library…



Where I usually read.
A quiet read.
On Friday 02/23 I visited my local library for a couple of very enjoyable hours. It seems like a 100 years ago but when I was young, I was a voracious reader, and nothing could make me happier than sitting down with either a Star Trek, Sci-fi or History book. I was (and still am to a lesser degree) a natural speed reader, and I could devour books. A skill that used to piss off my teachers when I was a kid in school. In recent years, my ability to focus, and read for prolonged periods of time is not what it once was, and I do sometimes struggle. However lately as a stress management tool I have started forcing myself to sit down, and once again “have a quiet read”. I am not sure if it’s a form of meditation or not, but for a few minutes it’s nice to think about something that isn’t related to my current woes. 


A side note.

Last March 01, 2023, I suffered the 1st of four heart attacks.  I spent several weeks in hospital and much of that time was spent with nothing to do.  I am kind of sorry I didn’t think to ask for a selection of reading materials, because there was quite a bit of boredom lying in that hospital bed.   


The library.
Although I have visited many libraries in recent years, this was the first time I actually spent some time exploring, looking at the different services offered, and obviously the books. I am not sure what I was expecting but gone are the days when the library was a musty place staffed with overbearing older people. Okay that may sound like an inappropriate comment, because now I am the older overbearing person. All the staff at this library were very kind, helpful and extremely professional. Hopefully this is typical for other libraries because it really was a wonderfully inviting, and comfortable place to sit down for a quiet read. So much so that I even sat down for 20 minutes and read a couple of magazine articles. About the only thing missing was a glass of something to drink. Comically I couldn’t help thinking of an idea I had for restaurant/pub I had a number of years ago called the “Quiet Bar”. Basically, a place where people could gather for a quiet afternoon, or an evening and enjoy a light snack. Rather than having televisions, and music blasting out.  This would be a setting designed to encourage quiet interactions such as on a date, with a book or even a laptop.          

Enjoy the photos, and if you get the chance, try visiting your local library.














Bushy Park.

On the grounds of the Gainesville/Haymarket Library, there is a house that dates to the American Civil War..





Links
Prince William County Libraries 
https://www.pwcva.gov/department/library


Town of Haymarket, Virginia



Hashtags
#publicl
ibrary #Library #PWC #Americancivilwar #civilwar
#virginia #NorthernVirginia 
#gainesvilleVA #haymarket
#HaymarketVA #princewilliamcounty
 #BushyPark








Comments