Passenger Air Travel in another era.

 

This image has appeared on several social media sites.


This short posting has been expanded from my original Social Media posting on March 12,2024 

My last commercial flight was from Los Angeles to Dulles Airport (#IAD) a couple years ago. A few rows up from me was a woman dressed WAY DOWN in stinky ratty clothes, wearing headphones with her music blasting so loud everyone could hear.  Then to add insult to the injury of her fellow passengers she is eating open mouthed a disgusting smelling meal she brought with her like a cow. Mercifully I was a few rows back, but when I got up to use the restroom I had to walk past her and it was disgusting. 

However 50+ years ago I can also remember my first flight in 1969 from
Leeds Bradford Airport (Yeadon Airport as it was called then) to Heathrow Airport in London. From there it was on to the then brand new Dulles Airport to see my Dad. I have fond memories of that flight how polite and well-dressed people were. I can even remember one of the flight attendants (stewardesses as they were called back then) praising my Mum on on how well behaved my brother and I were.

While agree men wearing a suit & tie, and women wearing skirts with posh hats  everywhere is a bit excessive (and arguably as uncomfortable, as it is impractical).  Images of the bygone era such as the image above are long gone.  
But whatever happened to such ideas as: Dressing in clean clothes (the fashion statement of the wearers choice). Personal hygiene  (And I am not talking about showering yourself in perfume). Basic Table manners (Such as NO SMELLY FOODS and CLOSING YOUR MOUTH). I am not damning people for being people, and there is nothing wrong with maintaining your identity.  However there has to be a middle ground, and mutual respect for your fellow passengers. 



#airtravel #passengers  






Comments